Heineken Brings The Glory Of The UEFA Champions League Stateside
Heineken® announced its making it easier than ever for U.S. fans to experience the passion of the UEFA Champions League (UCL), by offering a rare chance to get close with the ultimate prize through the UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour Presented by Heineken. Kicking off on March 19, the tour will give fans 21 and older in New York City, Dallas and Los Angeles the opportunity to snap a selfie with one of the world’s most celebrated trophies, view an interactive UCL exhibit featuring legendary game-worn gear, and have a Heineken alongside some of the tournament’s biggest stars.
The UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour Presented by Heineken is a continuation of the momentum which kicked off in February, as part of Heineken’s launch of the #ChampionTheMatch campaign. On March 18th, Soccer legend, and 2005 UCL trophy winner Jerzy Dudek, will be on hand to welcome the trophy stateside and take part in a #ChampionTheMatch live Twitter chat during a crucial Champions League match between FC Barcelona and Manchester City FC. The Trophy Tour will kick off publicly for fans the following day on March 19 in New York City, at Skylight Modern in Manhattan.
“We’re massive fans of soccer in the U.S., and because of timing, we understand how tough it can be to experience the excitement of the UCL in real-time,” said Ralph Rijks, Vice President of Heineken USA. “Whether it’s through the UCL trophy tour, live Twitter chats with legends, or an additional surprise we’ll have along the way, the ‘Champion The Match’ campaign is finally offering U.S. fans unparalleled access to the sport they love, all tournament long.”
#CHAMPIONTHEMATCH ELEVATES MATCH DAY:
#ChampionTheMatch is a live Twitter engagement which gives fans the opportunity to interact with former soccer legends live during major Champions League games. Throughout the UCL season, UCL champions such as David Villa, Ruud Gullit, Patrick Kluivert and others will take over the @HeinekenSoccer Twitter handle and engage with fans using the hashtag #ChampionTheMatch.
THE HARDWARE HITS THE ROAD:
The UCL Trophy Tour will cover three stops in U.S. cities before it returns to Europe for its final journey towards Berlin’s Olympia Stadium for the UEFA Champions League Final on June 6. Full campaign stops include:
- New York City:
- March 18 – 19 at Skylight Modern
- With special guests David Villa and Jerzy Dudek
- Villa is a Spanish striker who won the UEFA Champions League in 2011 with Barcelona, and is a former World Cup winner with the Spanish national team. He currently plays for Major League Soccer’s NYCFC
- Dudek is a former goalkeeper from Poland who won the 2005 UEFA Champions League with Liverpool and whose double save against AC Milan in the 2005 UCL Final is considered one of the greatest moments in soccer history
- April 17–18 at Klyde Warren Park
- With special guests Patrick Kluivert and Eric Abidal
- Kluivert is a Dutch soccer legend who played for numerous top-level teams during his career, including FC Barcelona, Milan, and Ajax. Kluivert famously scored an 85th minute goal for Ajax to win the 1995 UCL Final.
- Abidal is a French defender who has won two UCL Champions League trophies with FC Barcelona in 2009 and 2011
- Los Angeles:
- April 21 – 22 at Siren Studios – The Cube
- With special guests Fernando Morientes and Michel Salgado
- Morientes is a Spanish striker and three-time UCL champion, winning the tournament with Real Madrid in 1998, 2000 and 2002.
- Salgado is a Spanish left back who played a decade with Real Madrid and took home the UCL trophy twice, in 2000 and 2002.
For the most up to date information on all things soccer, through the lens of Heineken, visit Heineken USA’s dedicated soccer website, www.heineken.com/Soccer, follow @HeinekenSoccer on Twitter, visit www.facebook.com/Heineken; or visit Heineken USA’s YouTube page at www.youtube.com/HeinekenUSA.